Los Angeles Unified, in partnership with the Red Cross, will continue to provide nutritious meals to all students who need them during the temporary closure of schools.Their Grab & Go Food Centers will be open beginning Wednesday, March 18, and will be staffed weekdays from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Each child can take home two nutritious meals. To find the closest Grab & Go Food Center click here.
Tips on how to talk to children about COVID-19
- Remain calm and reassuring: Children react to both what you say and how you say. They will pick up cues from the conversation you have with them and others
- Be available to talk and listen: Make time to talk to your children. Be sure your children know they can come and talk to you.
- Don’t be afraid to discuss coronavirus: Most children have already heard about it. Not talking about it actually makes kids worry more. Look at the conversation as an opportunity to convey the facts and set the emotional tone.
- Provide information that’s honest and accurate: Give children information that is truthful and appropriate for the age and developmental level of the child.
- Be developmentally appropriate: Don’t volunteer too much information as this may be too overwhelming. Instead try to answer your child’s questions.
- Avoid language that may blame others and lead to stigma: Remember viruses make anyone sick. Avoid making assumptions about who might have coronavirus. Bullying or negative comments made towards others should be stopped and reported to schools.
- Teach children everyday actions to reduce spread of germs: Remind children to stay away from people who are coughing, sneezing or sick. Remind them to cough or sneeze into a tissue or elbow. Then throw the tissue into the trash. Remind children not to share drinks or food. Get children into the habit of handwashing.
- Communicate with your school: Talk to your school nurse, school counselors, school psychologist, or school social worker if your child is having difficulties as a result of anxiety or stress related to the coronavirus.
Via – LACounty.gov